In which I attempt to watch every film in The Criterion Collection and end up watching a lot that aren't. Click here for the rating system.

Monday

Gleaners and I

"Recycle your chopsticks!"

Agnès Varda made a documentary about gleaners - those who glean after the harvest, people who pick up the excess or leftovers. Her documentary moves from vineyards to urban French cities and back out to potato farms. She does her own sort of gleaning using images that other people would probably discard. She is downright charming. After watching the film I immediately went through my trash to see what I was wasting.
A fascinating look at a consumer society and poverty. I highly recommend it.
The DVD also has a "two years later" feature in which Agnes catches up with people she met during the first film and also meets some new ones.

Favorite Moments: Catching trucks, lens cap dance, Solomon, Agnes' cat, boxing dog.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
web stats