In which I attempt to watch every film in The Criterion Collection and end up watching a lot that aren't. Click here for the rating system.

Tuesday

Punch-Drunk Love

"Why I love Punch-Drunk Love." ▲ ♪

This must be one of my favorite movies. I bought it on the recommendation of family members (whose tastes are consistently and eerily matched to my own). I watched it three times in the first evening.
P. T. Anderson, maker of such films as Magnolia and Boogie Nights, won Best Director at Cannes with this surrealistic love story starring Adam Sandler and (my favorite actress) Emily Watson. A fantastically underexplained car wreck begins the action in this visually disturbing and lucid film about one of the sweetest love affairs ever to grace the screen.
Liberal use of the artwork of Jeremy Blake and the world's best use of the song "He Needs Me" (as sung by Shelley Duvall in the film Popeye) cement the status of this film in the art world. General audiences were a little more reserved in their praise. I suppose this is understandable. For me, PTA's films are like secrets whispered in my ear. Stories that he is telling me alone. Perhaps that is why I like them so well.

Favorite Moments: Car crash, white truck, running with harmonium, Lena's arrival, etc, etc, etc.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Representatives of k_srafilmspot.blogspot.com,

I visited you site as was interested in film “Coffee and Cigarettes” by Screenwriter Paul Thomas Anderson. I was very surprised and disillusioned to find out the link
P. T. Anderson
to the cigarettes web-store ptanderson.com on the page http://k_srafilmspot.blogspot.com/
as I’m a non-smoker. This whole situation is disappointing because the subject of this film is against smoking. That’s why I kindly ask you to remove this link from your site!
With hope for your cooperation and understanding to this matter!

12:21 PM

 
Blogger k_sra said...

Dear Anonymous,
I have no idea what you are talking about. P.T. Anderson wrote the screenplay for Cigarettes and Coffee. Not Coffee and Cigarettes (which is a film made in 2003 by Jim Jarmusch). I do not pretend to know what link youa re referring to since my link to PT's biography is now defunct.

Sorry to "surprise and disillusion" you. It was certainly not my intent.

Yours,
The Management

12:40 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
web stats