In which I attempt to watch every film in The Criterion Collection and end up watching a lot that aren't. Click here for the rating system.

Wednesday

The Last Samurai

"I forgot how short he is."

So, I don't know much background on this recent release (notice I say recent even though the DVD's been out for a couple months or so. To me this is brand spankin new.

Tom Cruise, of all people plays the disillusioned soldier who becomes the "last Samurai." He very sweetly falls in love with the widow of a man he killed and wins over her sons' affection. I admit a couple tears were jerked. It was long, like they were trying to make a foreign film. I don't remember much else. I was eating a pickle in a bag at the time. I remember the pickle more than I remember the film. I liked it but I probably won't watch it again.

And in the end... do you think he died or went home or married the girl?

Fave Moment: Hugging the boy.

6 Comments:

Blogger Lydia said...

I think he survived his wounds and went back to the girl. What did he have left to live for in the states? He had already started eschewing occidental culture, and anyway, this was unfortunately Hollywood and NOT a foreign film, so that is the only possible ending.

1:19 PM

 
Blogger k_sra said...

Yeah, I ass-umed the same thing merely because this is happy American cinema we're talking about. But then I can always flatter myself that I am sophisticated enough to be ok with him just damn well dying and never seeing the chick or the cute little boys again...

...maybe.

1:42 PM

 
Blogger Lydia said...

The little boys were way cuter than Cruise. I wanted to take them home and feed them Jell-O.

8:28 AM

 
Blogger k_sra said...

Aww, Jell-o! Yes, that's exactly what they need! Cuters.

8:45 AM

 
Blogger Anna said...

k_sra,

Thanks for the nice post on Tara's blog. I had to comment on this post on Tom Cruise. He's just not my favorite person, and that's probably why I haven't seen this movie. I was a huge fan of Tom back when A Few Good Men and The Firm came out. But recently, all this talk of Scientology and the whole rant on post-partum depression had me losing interest quickly.

Anna

8:58 PM

 
Blogger k_sra said...

Yes, Tom is a hot-button topic. But I predict that after he's had all of Kate Cruise's babies he will recede into the background and live a quasi-normal life.

10:53 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
web stats