In which I attempt to watch every film in The Criterion Collection and end up watching a lot that aren't. Click here for the rating system.

Friday

Bombay Talkie

Or "Why The British Should Never Be Allowed Near Bollywood."

Ugh. I didn't know Merchant Ivory films could be that bad. It was made in the seventies. Perhaps that explains it.

I don't know what to say about this movie. Everything starting getting hazy for me the minute I saw Helen dancing on a gigantic red typewriter (which the directors thought was a beautiful allegory for life and I thought looked dumb as hell).

I got this movie in the hopes that I could learn something about Bollywood film in the sixties and seventies. I was so wrong.

Favorite Moments: Opening credits, guru playing ping-pong.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
web stats