In which I attempt to watch every film in The Criterion Collection and end up watching a lot that aren't. Click here for the rating system.

Thursday

Ordet

"Like It, Or Else!"

I was advised to... nay; ordered to like this film by the insert notes. Told in no uncertain terms that only a fool would dislike this movie, I began to dislike it immediately. Then I watched it. It left me cold. One man's treasure is another fool's trash apparently. I didn't care much one way or another. It hadn't taken me to new heights or shown me something I didn't realize or revealed a fragmented glimpse of the true world around me, it just was. To be honest, the only Th. Dreyer film I actually like liked was The Passion of Joan of Arc (also in the Criterion Collection). So, enough. There it is. Ordet means "Word" by the way and the film is riddled and punctuated with religious sentiment.

Favorite Moment: Little girl believing her uncle was Jesus.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
web stats